Dr. Luo, Ruibang
Tel: (+852) 2859 2186
Fax: (+852) 2559 8447
Email: rbluo [AT] cs [DOT] hku [DOT] hk
Luo received his Ph.D. degree in computer science from the University of Hong Kong in 2015. He was a postdoctoral fellow in the Center of Computational Biology, McKusick-Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Luo is a researcher working on 1) bioinformatics algorithm, 2) precision medicine, 3) metagenomics, and 4) literature mining. His research results have been published in peer-reviewed journals including Nature, Nature Biotechnology, Nature Machine Intelligence, Nature Communications, and Bioinformatics.
1) bioinformatics algorithm, 2) precision medicine, 3) metagenomics, and 4) literature mining
- Ou et al., HKG: An open genetic variant database of 205 Hong Kong Cantonese exomes, NAR Genomics and Bioinformatics 2022
- Li et al., Building a Chinese pan-genome of 486 individuals, Communications Biology 2021
- Xie et al., The applications and potentials of nanopore sequencing in the (epi)genome and (epi)transcriptome era, The Innovation 2021
- Luo et al., SARS‐CoV‐2 biology and variants: anticipation of viral evolution and what needs to be done, Environmental Microbiology 2021
- Su et al., RENET2: High-Performance Full-text Gene-Disease Relation Extraction with Iterative Training Data Expansion, NAR Genomics and Bioinformatics 2021
- Luo et al., Exploring the limit of using a deep neural network on pileup data for germline variant calling, Nature Machine Intelligence, 2020
- Luo et al., A multi-task convolutional deep neural network for variant calling in single molecule sequencing, Nature Communications 2019
- Luo et al., 16GT: a fast and sensitive variant caller using a 16-genotype probabilistic model, Oxford GigaScience 2017
- Li et al., MEGAHIT: An ultra-fast single-node solution for large and complex metagenomics assembly via succinct de Bruijn graph, Bioinformatics 2015
- Cao et al., De novo assembly of a haplotype-resolved human genome, Nature Biotechnology 2015
- Xie et al., SOAPdenovo-Trans: de novo transcriptome assembly with short RNA-Seq reads, Bioinformatics 2014
- Luo et al., SOAP3-dp: Fast, Accurate and Sensitive GPU-based Short Read Aligner, PLoS ONE 2013
- Zhang et al., Oyster genome reveals stress adaptation and shell formation complexity, Nature 2012
- Luo et al., SOAPdenovo2: An empirically improved memory-efficient short-read de novo assembler, Oxford GigaScience 2012
- Li et al., Structural variation in two human genomes mapped at single-nucleotide resolution by whole genome de novo assembly, Nature Biotechnology 2011
- Li et al. , Building the sequence map of the human pan-genome, Nature Biotechnology 2010
Recent Research Grants
- 2022, Industrial donation to support general research, PI, Oxford Nanopore Technologies
- 2021, RGC GRF, PI, "Cancer mutation detection using Single Molecule Sequencing"
- 2021, ITF PRP, Co-PI, "Cardiovascular risk prediction model for patients on lipid modifying drugs"
- 2021, ITF ITSP Platform Project, Co-PI, "Towards a Fully-Automated Karyotype Analysis for Detecting Chromosomal Abnormality via Intelligent Bioinformatics and Image Analysis"
- 2021, RGC TRS, Co-PI, "Assess antibiotic resistome flows from pollution hotspots to environments and explore the control strategies"
- 2019, RGC TRS, Co-I, "Fighting Disease Recurrence and Promoting Tissue Repair after Liver Transplantation: Translating Basic Discoveries to Clinical Excellence"
- 2018, ITF ITSP Platform Project, Co-I, Advanced 3GS-based bioinformatics algorithms and a complete bioinformatics solution for clinical genetics
- 2018, RGC ECS, PI, An Artificial Neural Network-based discriminator for validating clinically significant genomic variants