Prof. Reynold C.K. Cheng
BEng, MPhil HKU; MSc, PhD Purdue
Computing & Data Analytics Programme Director;
Tel: (+852) 2219 4778
Fax: (+852) 2559 8447
Prof. Reynold Cheng is the Professor of the Department of Computer Science in the University of Hong Kong (HKU). He received his BEng (Computer Engineering) in 1998, and MPhil (Computer Science and Information Systems) in 2000 from HKU. He then obtained his MSc and PhD degrees from Department of Computer Science of Purdue University in 2003 and 2005.
Prof. Cheng was granted an Outstanding Young Researcher Award 2011-12 by HKU. He was the recipient of the 2010 Research Output Prize in Department of Computer Science of HKU. He also received the Universitas 21 Fellowship in 2011. He was the Assistant Professor in the Department of Computing of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University from 2005 to 2008, where he received two Performance Awards. He is a member of IEEE, ACM, ACM SIGMOD, and UPE. He has served on the program committees and review panels for leading database conferences and journals like SIGMOD, VLDB, ICDE, and TODS. He is on the editorial board of IS and DAPD, and is a guest editor for a special issue in TKDE. He is the co-chair of SSTD 2013, and the workshop co-chair of ICDE 2014. He received an Outstanding Service Award in the CIKM 2009 conference. His research interests include database management, as well as querying and mining of uncertain data.
Database and Uncertainty Management
- L. Mo, R. Cheng, X. Li, D. Cheung, and X. Yang, Cleaning Uncertain Data for Top-k Queries, Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering (IEEE ICDE 2013), Brisbane, Apr 2013
- X. Yang, R. Cheng, L. Mo, B. Kao, and D. Cheung, On Incentive-based Tagging, Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering (IEEE ICDE 2013), Brisbane, Apr 2013
- P. Zhang, R. Cheng, N. Mamoulis, M. Renz, A. Zuefle, Y. Tang, and T. Emrich, Voronoi-based Nearest Neighbor Search for Multi-Dimensional Uncertain Databases, Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering (IEEE ICDE 2013), Brisbane, Apr 2013
- X. Xie, R. Cheng, M. L. Yiu, L. Sun, and J. Chen, UV-Diagram: A Voronoi Diagram for Uncertain Spatial Databases, The Very Large Databases Journal (VLDBJ), 2012
- J. Gong, R. Cheng, and D. W. Cheung, Efficient Management of Uncertainty in XML Schema Matching, The Very Large Databases Journal (VLDBJ). 21(3), pp. 385-409, 2012
- R. Cheng, J. Gong, D. W. Cheung, and J. Cheng, Evaluating Probabilistic Queries over Uncertain Matching, IEEE ICDE 2012
- L. Sun, R. Cheng, X. Li, D. W. Cheung, and J. Han, On Link-based Similarity Join, VLDB 2011
- B. Kao, C. Ren, X. Zhu, C. K. Chui, E. Lo, and R. Cheng, On Querying Historical Evolving Graph Sequences, VLDB 2011
- J. Gong, R. Cheng, and D. W. Cheung, Efficient Management of Uncertainty in XML Schema Matching, VLDBJ 2011
- B. Bi, S. D. Lee, B. Kao, and R. Cheng, CubeLSI: An Effective and Efficient Method for Searching Resources in Social Tagging Systems, IEEE ICDE 2011
- L. Wang, D. W. Cheung, R. Cheng, S. D. Lee, and X. Yang, Efficient Mining of Frequent Itemsets on Large Uncertain Databases, IEEE TKDE 2011
- T. Farrell, K. Rothermel, and R. Cheng, Processing Continuous Range Queries with Spatio-Temporal Tolerance, IEEE TMC, 10(3): 320-334 (2011)
- R. Cheng, E. Lo, X. Yang, M. Luk, X. Li, and X. Xie, Explore or Exploit? Effective Strategies for Disambiguating Large Databases, VLDB 2010
- L. Sun, R. Cheng, D. W. Cheung, and J. Cheng, Mining Uncertain Data with Probabilistic Guarantees, ACM SIGKDD 2010
- R. Cheng, X. Xie, M. Y. Yiu, J. Chen and L. Sun, UV-diagram: A Voronoi Diagram for Uncertain Data, IEEE ICDE 2010
- R. Cheng, J. Gong and D. Cheung, Managing Uncertainty of XML Schema Matching, IEEE ICDE 2010
- R. Cheng, B. Kao, A. Kwan, S. Prabhakar and Y. Tu, Filtering Data Streams for Entity-based Continuous Queries, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 234-248, IEEE TKDE, Feb 2010
- J. Chen, R. Cheng, M. Mokbel and C. Chow, Scalable Processing of Snapshot and Continuous Nearest-Neighbor Queries over One-Dimensional Uncertain Data, VLDBJ (Special Issue on Uncertain and Probabilistic Databases), Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 1219-1240, 2009
- Z. Zhang, R. Cheng, D. Papadias and A. Tung, Minimizing the Communication Cost for Continuous Skyline Maintenance, ACM SIGMOD 2009
- R. Cheng, L. Chen, J. Chen and X. Xie, Evaluating Probability Threshold k-Nearest-Neighbor Queries over Uncertain Data, EDBT 2009
- R. Cheng, J. Chen and X. Xie, Cleaning Uncertain Data with Quality Guarantees, VLDB 2008
- R. Cheng, J. Chen, M. Mokbel and C. Chow, Probabilistic Verifiers: Evaluating Constrained Nearest-Neighbor Queries over Uncertain Data, IEEE ICDE 2008
- S. Singh, C. Mayfield, R. Shah, S. Prabhakar, S. Hambrusch, J. Neville and R. Cheng, Database Support for Probabilistic Attributes and Tuples, IEEE ICDE 2008
- J. Chen and R. Cheng, Efficient Evaluation of Imprecise Location-Dependent Queries, IEEE ICDE 2007
- Y. Tao, X. Xiao and R. Cheng, Range Search on Multidimensional Uncertain Data, ACM TODS, 32(3):15
- R. Cheng, B. Kao, S. Prabhakar, A. Kwan and Y. Tu, Adaptive Stream Filters for Entity-based Queries with Non-Value Tolerance, VLDB 2005
- Y. Tao, R. Cheng, X. Xiao, W. Ngai, B. Kao and S. Prabhakar, Indexing Multi-Dimensional Uncertain Data with Arbitrary Probability Density Functions, VLDB 2005
- R. Cheng, Y. Xia, S. Prabhakar and R. Shah, Change Tolerant Indexing over Constantly Evolving Data, IEEE ICDE 2005
- R. Cheng, D. V. Kalashnikov and S. Prabhakar, Querying Imprecise Data in Moving Object Environments, IEEE TKDE, Vol. 16, No. 9, pp. 1112-1127, Sep 2004
- R. Cheng, Y. Xia, S. Prabhakar, R. Shah and J. Vitter, Efficient Indexing Methods for Probabilistic Threshold Queries over Uncertain Data, VLDB 2004
- R. Cheng, D. V. Kalashnikov and S. Prabhakar, Evaluating Probabilistic Queries over Imprecise Data, ACM SIGMOD 2003
Recent Research Grants
- Outstanding Young Research Award 2011-12, HKU. Amount: HKD 300,000 (plus a RPG student).
- RGC grant (PI, 2011-13): "UV-Diagram: A Voronoi Diagram for Uncertain Spatial Databases". Amount: HKD 746,400.
- RGC grant (PI, 2010-12): "Scalable Cleaning of Probabilistic Databases with Quality Guarantees ". Amount: HKD 696,500.
- RGC grant (PI, 2009-10): "Scalable Continuous Query Processing on Imprecise Location Data ". Amount: HKD 645,950.
- RGC grant (PI, 2008-09): "Adaptive Filters for Continuous Queries over Constantly-Evolving Data Streams". Amount: HKD 391,512.
- RGC grant (PI, 2007-09): "Privacy Protection in Location-based Services with Location Cloaking". Amount: HKD 356,000.
- RGC Germany/Hong Kong Joint Research Scheme (PI, 2006-07): "Efficient Protocols for Quality-Aware Querying of Sensor Data in Pervasive Environments". Amount: HKD 59,600.
- Universitas 21 Fellowship, for visiting NUS for 2 months. Amount: HKD 50,000
- HKU Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research (PI, 2008-10): "Probing Imprecise Sensor Data with Quality Guarantees". Amount: HKD 240,000.
- HKPU research grant (PI, 2006-08): "Efficiency of Privacy Preservation Mechanisms in Routing over the Internet". Amount: HKD 120,000.
- HKPU research grant (PI, 2007-08): "Network Privacy with Spatial and Temporal Cloaking". Amount: HKD 120,000.
- NSF China, Project for Young Scientists Fund (Co-I, 2012-14): "Fast Algorithms for Analyzing Large Uncertain Graphs". Amount: RMB 220,000.
- NSF China, Project for Young Scientists Fund, General Program (Co-I, 2009-11): "Cooperative Caching in Wireless Mesh Networks". Amount: RMB 200,000.
- RGC grant (Co-I, 2009-10): "Proactive Data Sweeping and Adaptive Communication for Efficient Data Collection in Sensor Networks". Amount awarded: HKD 346,060.
- RGC grant (Co-I, 2006-07): "Query Processing on Historical Uncertain Spatiotemporal Data". Amount: HKD 961,920.
- HKPU research grant (Co-I, 2006-08): " Hierarchical Multimedia Database for Semantic-based Multimedia Retrieval ". Amount: HKD 120,000.