Professor E. Bagan
PhD Autonomous University of Barcelona
Tel: (+852) 2859 2350
Fax: (+852) 2559 8447
My career as a physicist covers mainly two domains: particle physics and quantum information. During my PhD and my postdoctoral years I focused on phenomenology in high energy physics. Latter on, after becoming associate professor at the UAB, my research interests grew more theoretical and I worked in mathematical problems in gauge theories.
About 18 years ago, I become aware of the new and exciting developments in quantum information technologies and I started to work in this field. Since 2006 this has been my main research area. I have written more than 70 publication in quantum information (QI), most of them in top-ranking journals. I have given more than 40 talks, most of them by invitation, on various QI topics. My list of collaborators in QI include R. Tarrach (which whom I also collaborated extensively during my particle physics years), A. Acín, R.D. Gill, V. Buzek, J. A. Bergou, C. M. Caves, F. Verstraete, G. Chiribella, M Hayashi and M. Hillery. Likewise, I have published more that 60 research articles in particle physics, also in top-ranking research journals, and have an extensive list of collaborators.
I am A. V. Humboldt Fellow and I was a researcher at Brookhaven (BLN), New York, at the University of Cambridge, and at the University of Heidelberg. Recently, I have been a Visiting Professor at CQT Singapore and Hunter College of the City University of New York.
Quantum Information: Quantum Statistical Inference (state and process estimation and discrimination), Gaussian states, Quantum State discrimination, Quantum Metrology. Quantum Machine Learning. Quantum Cloning. Resource theory.
Former research topics:
High Energy Physics, Strong Interactions, QCD, Heavy Quarks, Gauge Theories.
- 'Relations between coherence and path information’, with J. A. Bergou, S. S. Cottrell and M. Hillery, Phys. Rev. Lett. 116, 160406 (2016)
- ‘Quantum change point’, with G. Sentis, J. Calsamiglia, G. Chiribella and R. Munoz-Tapia, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 150502 (2016)
- ‘Quantum Metrology Assisted with Abstention’, with B. Gendra, E. Ronco-Bonvehi, J. Calsamiglia, R. Munoz-Tapia, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110, 100501 (2013)
- ‘Quantum learning without quantum memory’, with G. Sentis, J. Calsamiglia, R. Munoz-Tapia, Scientific Reports 2, 708 (2012)
- ‘The Quantum Chernoff Bound’, with K.M.R. Audenaert, J. Calsamiglia, Ll. Masanes, R. Munoz-Tapia, A. Acin, and F. Verstraete, Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 160501 (2007)
- ‘Quantum-limited metrology with product states’, with S. Boixo, A. Datta, S. T. Flammia, A. Shaji, and C. M. Caves, Phys. Rev. A 77, 012317 (2007)
- 'Optimal full estimation of qubit mixed states', with, M.A. Ballester, R.D. Gill, A. Monras, and R. Muñoz-Tapia, Phys. Rev. A 73, 032301 (2006)
- 'Multiple-copy two-state discrimination with individual measurements', with A. Acín, M. Baig, L. Masanes, and R Munoz-Tapia, Phys. Rev. A 71, 032338 (2005)
- 'Optimal scheme for estimating a pure qubit state via local measurements', with M. Baig, R. Muñoz-Tapia, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 277904 (2002)
- 'Aligning reference frames with quantum states', with M. Baig and R. Muñoz-Tapia, Phys. Rev. Lett. 87, 257903 (2001)
Recent Research Grants
- Quantum Information and Quantum Phenomena (2017 SGR 1127) DURSI, Catalonia (2017-2019)
- Quantum learning and non-classicality (FIS2016-80681-P) MINECO, Spain (2017-2019)
- Resources and Restrictions in Quantum Information Processing (FIS2013-40627-P) MINECO, Spain (2014-2017)
- Quantum Information and Quantum Phenomena (2014 SGR 966) DURSI, Catalonia (2014-2016)
- Quantum Information in Complex Systems (FIS2008-01236). MCI. Spain (2009-2013)
- Quantum Information and Quantum Phenomena (2009 SGR 0985) DURSI, Catalonia (2009-2013)
- Quantum Optical Information Technology; QOIT (CSD2006-00019), CONSOLIDER-INGENIO 2010. Spain (2006-2010)
- Scalable Quantum Computing with Light and Atoms; SCALA (FP6-2004-IST-FET Proactive. European Commission (2005-2009)