Professor W. Wang
BSc, MEng Shandong; PhD Alberta
Head of Department; Professor
Tel: (+852) 2859 7074
Fax: (+852) 2559 8447
Professor Wang's research covers computer graphics, visualization, and geometric computing. He has recently focused on mesh generation and surface modeling for architectural design. He is journal associate editor of Computer Aided Geometric Design (CAGD), Computers and Graphics (CAG), and IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), program co-chair of several international conferences, including Pacific Graphics 2003, ACM Symposium on Physical and Solid Modeling (SPM 2006), International Conference on Shape Modeling (SMI 2009), and conference chair of Pacific Graphics 2012, SIAM Conference on Geometric and Physical Modeling 2013 (GD/SPM'13), and SIGGRAPH Asia 2013. More detailed info about his research can be found at (http://www.cs.hku.hk/~wenping).
Research InterestsComputer Graphics, Computational Geometry, Geometric Modeling, and Scientific Visualization
- Z.G. Chen, Z. Yuan, Y.K. Choi, L.G. Liu, and W. Wang,
Variational blue noise sampling,
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), vol. 18, no. 10, 2012, pp. 1290-1303.
- Z. Yuan, Y. Z. Yu, and W. Wang,
Object-space multiphase Implicit functions,
ACM Transactions on Graphics (SIGGRAPH 2012), vol. 31, no. 4, 2012.
- P. Bo, H. Pottmann, M. Kilian, W. Wang, and J. Wallner,
Circular arc structures,
ACM Transactions on Graphics (SIGGRAPH 2011), vol. 30. no. 4, 2011
- Y. Liu, W. Wang, B. Levy, F. Sun, D.M. Yan, L. Lu and C.L. Yang,
On centroidal Voronoi tessellation -- energy smoothness and fast computation,
ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), vol. 28. no. 4, 2009
- W. Wang, B. Juttler, D. Y. Zheng, Y. Liu ,
Computation of rotation minimizing frames ,
ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), vol. 27, no. 1, 2008
- H. Pottmann, Y. Liu, J. Wallner, A. Bobenko, and W. Wang,
Geometry of multi-layer freeform structures for architecture,
ACM Transactions on Graphics (SIGGRAPH 2007), vol. 26, no. 3, 2007.
- Y. Liu, H. Pottman, J. Wallner, Y. Yang , W. Wang,
Geometric modeling with conical meshes and developable surfaces,
ACM Transactions Graphics (SIGGRAPH 2006), vol. 25, no. 3, 2006.
- W. Wang, H. Pottmann and Y. Liu,
Fitting B-spline curves to point clouds by squared distance minimization,
ACM Transactions on Graphics (TOG), vol. 25, no. 2, 2006
- K.S. Cheng, W. Wang, H. Qin, K-Y K. Wong, H-P Yang and Y. Liu,
Design and analysis of optimization methods for subdivision surface fitting,
IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (TVCG), vol. 13, no. 5, 2007, pp. 878 - 890.
- Y. K. Choi, W. Wang, Y. Liu and M.S. Kim,
Continuous collision detection for elliptic disks,
IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, vol. 22. no. 2, 2006, pp. 213-224.
Recent Research Grants
- RGC's General Research Fund (2012) Free-Form Shape Modeling Using Cyclides
- RGC's General Research Fund (2011) A New Approach to Automatic Hexahedral Mesh Generation
- RGC's General Research Fund (2010) Studies on 3D Optimal Delaunay Triangulation
- RGC's General Research Fund (2009) Computation of Centroidal Voronoi Tessellation
- RGC's General Research Fund (2008) Computation of Planar Hexagonal Mesh Surfaces