Professor Benjamin C.M. Kao
BSc HK; PhD Princeton
Deputy Head (Academic); Professor
Tel: (+852) 2857 8445
Fax: (+852) 2559 8447
Professor Ben Kao is a professor in the Department of Computer Science at The University of Hong Kong. He received the BSc degree in computer science from The University of Hong Kong in 1989, the PhD degree in computer science from Princeton University in 1995. From 1989-1991, he was a teaching and research assistant at Princeton University. From 1992-1995, he was a research fellow at Stanford University.
Professor Kao has published extensively in various international
journals, conference proceedings, and books. (DBLP records) He has also served as program committee member for many international computer conferences and as reviewer for many journals.
Professor Kao's research interests include database management systems, data mining, real-time systems, and information retrieval systems.
Research InterestsDatabase Management Systems, Data Mining, Real-time Systems, and Information Retrieval Systems
- Ben Kao, S.D. Lee, Foris Lee, David Cheung, W.S. Ho,
Clustering Uncertain Data Using Voronoi Diagrams and R-Tree Index,
in IEEE Transaction on Knowledge and Data Engineering (IEEE TKDE).
- Smith Tsang, Ben Kao, Kevin Y. Yip, Wai-Shing Ho, S.D. Lee,
Decision Trees for Uncertain Data,
in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (IEEE TKDE).
- Minghua Zhang, Ben Kao, David Cheung and Kevin Yip,
Mining Periodic Patterns with Gap Requirement from Sequences,
in ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (ACM TKDD), Volume 1, Issue 2 (August 2007).
- Chun-Kit Chui, Eric Lo, Ben Kao and David W. Cheung,
S-OLAP: an OLAP system for analysis sequence data,
in the proceedings of ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data 2010 (SIGMOD 2010), Indianapolis, USA, June 2010.
- Bin Bi, Lifeng Shang, Ben Kao,
Collaborative Resource Discovery in Social Tagging Systems,
in the proceedings of the 18th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM 2009), Hong Kong, November 2009.
Recent Research Grants
- Online Analytical Processing on Sequence Data, GRF, 2008
- Computational Issues in Mining Uncertain Data, GRF, 2006
- Computational problems in sequence mining, RGC, 2002-2004
- Computational problems in sequence mining, RGC, 2002
- Music retrieval in digital library, RGC, 1999-2001
- Efficient data structure and algorithms for WWW information retrieval, RGC, 1998-2000