Dr. H.L. Chan
BEng HK; PhD HK
Tel: (+852) 2219 4800
Fax: (+852) 2559 8447
Ho-Leung Chan is currently an assistant professor in the University of Hong Kong (HKU). He studied Computer Engineering in HKU
and graduated with a bachelor degree in 2002.
Then he continued his PhD study in Computer Science there
and graduated in 2007. He worked as a postdoc
in University of Pittsburgh and Max-Planck-Institut
fuer Informatik from 2007 to 2009, and returned
to HKU afterwards. Ho-Leung is thankful to
his PhD advisor Tak-Wah Lam, his summer intern advisor Nikhil Bansal,
and his postdoc advisor Kirk Pruhs
for their guidance and help throughout the years.
Research InterestsOnline algorithms, data structures, mathematical analysis, theory of computation.
- V. Bonifaci, H. L. Chan, A. Marchetti-Spaccamela, N. Megow,
Algorithms and Complexity for Periodic Real-Time Scheduling,
- N. Bansal, and H. L. Chan,
Weighted flow time does not admit O(1)-competitive algorithms,
- N. Bansal, H. L. Chan, and K. Pruhs,
Speed scaling with an arbitrary power function,
- H. L. Chan, W. T. Chan, T. W. Lam, L. K. Lee, K. S. Mak and P. W. H. Wong,
Energy efficient online deadline scheduling,
- N. Bansal, H. L. Chan, R. Khandekar, K. Pruhs, B. Schieber and C. Stein,
Non-preemptive min-sum scheduling with resource augmentation,
- H. L. Chan. T. W. Lam, and K. S. Liu,
Extra unit-speed machines are almost as powerful as speedy machines for flow time scheduling,
- H. L. Chan, W. K. Hon, T. W. Lam, K. Sadakane,
Dynamic dictionary matching and compressed suffix trees,
- H. L. Chan, T. W. Lam, K. K. To,
Non-migratory online deadline scheduling on multiprocessors,
Recent Research Grants
- RGC grant, Co-I: Nikhil Bansal, "Competitive on-line scheduling algorithms for minimizing weighted flow time", 2010 - 13, HKD 792,000.