Our History

The history of the Department of Computer Science can be traced back to the late '60s, when the University started to install her first main-frame computer which also marked the establishment of the Computer Centre. The mission of the Computer Centre was twofold, one in providing computing services to the University community , and the other in supporting teaching and research tasks in computer science. In '60s - '70s, where computers were still very rare and expensive, the Centre provided a number of service courses to all the disciplines in the University. In addition, the Centre also offered M.Phil. and Ph.D. degree programmes at that time. Below is a brief history of events of our department:

1969 The Computer Centre, located in the Digby Building (1935), was established. The now demolished Digby Building was at the same location as the current Chow Yei Ching Building.
1973 The Computer Centre moved to the 8/F of Knowles Building, when it was built in 1973.
1975 Courses in Computer Studies were offered for the first time to students of the Faculty of Science.
1978 Dr. C.F. Chong graduated as the first M.Phil. student in Computer Studies.
1981 Computer Centre was renamed the Centre of Computer Studies and Applications (CCSA). Professor C.K. Yuen was appointed as the first Director of Computer Studies.
1982 The degree programme of B.Sc.(Computer Studies) was offered, in association with the Faculty of Science.
1984 The Centre of Computer Studies and Applications (CCSA) expanded and moved to the new Run Run Shaw Building. 
1985 The first batch of B.Sc.(Computer Studies) students graduated. At the same time, two streams of study were offered: hardware-oriented programme and software-oriented programme. The "Hardware" stream students studied together with the B.Sc.(Engineering[Computer Engineering]) students. Professor Chorkin Chan was appointed as the Director of Computer Studies.
1986 The degree programme of B.Sc.(Computer Studies) was renamed B.Sc.(Computer Science). Professor Francis Chin was appointed as the Director of Computer Studies.
1987 Dr. Bethany M.Y. Chan graduated as the first Ph.D. student in Computer Studies.
1988 The Department of Computer Science was formally established in the Faculty of Engineering. The degree programme of B.Eng.(Computer Engineering) was jointly offered by the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Professor Francis Chin was appointed as the first Head of Department.
1989 The Department expanded rapidly and moved back to the 8th floor of Knowles Building at the end of 1989.
1991 The Information Systems Programme of B.Sc.(Computer Science) was first offered together with the Computer Science Programme. Moreover, a coursework postgraduate degree programme in M.Sc.(Computer Science) was first offered in the same year.
1995 The Department moved to Chow Yei Ching Building with an area of 1800 sq.m. The number of postgraduates in the Department grew to over 100, comprising 52 M.Phil, 24 Ph.D and 30 M.Sc.(C.S.) students.
1996 Additional laboratory space was assigned in Haking Wong Building.
1997 The Department expanded into Haking Wong Building with an additional area of 800 sq.m.
1998 The Department was renamed the Department of Computer Science and Information Systems on July 1, 1998. The degree programme of B.Sc.(Computer Science and Information Systems) was first offered in 1998.
2000 The degree programme of B.Eng.(Software Engineering) was first offered together with the double degree programme B.B.A.(Information Systems)/B.Eng.(Software Engineering). Professor F.C.M. Lau was appointed as the second Head of Department.
2001 The degree programme of B.Sc.(BioInformatics) was first offered in collaboration with the Department of Biochemistry.
2004 The Department name changed from Computer Science and Information Systems to Computer Science with effect from July 1, 2004.
2005 A new B.Eng.(Computer Science) degree programme was launched to replace the B.Sc.(CSIS) and B.Eng.(SE) programmes.
2006 Professor D.W.L. Cheung was appointed as the new Head of Department.
2012 Professor W. Wang was appointed as the new Head of Department.